Continuing the Fulbright Speaker’s Series: The World Beyond a Book, Fulbright University Vietnam cordially invites you to a virtual chat about the book Vietnam Today and Tomorrow (Viet Nam Hom Nay va Ngay Mai). We are honored to welcome the book’s editors, Prof. Tran Van Tho and Dr. Nguyen Xuan Xanh, with 4 notorious authors, including Mr. Tran Huu Phuc Tien, Mr. Truong Trong Nghia, Dr. Huynh The Du, and Dr. Pham Chi Lan.
Vietnam is growing rapidly while struggling with various problems, whose answers require joined effort from the country’s intellectuals. Looking at various perspectives, from culture, education, medical, economic, and social studies to scientific research, several challenges emerge, which are deeply frustrating. It is exceptional for a nation, whose population is soon to reach 100 million, incorporates such a high degree of unity in culture and language, and finds hardly any ethnoreligious conflicts. Although Vietnam has elements in place to grow strong and rich, some ongoing problems need to be resolved to unleash the nation’s fullest potential. Laden with multiple disquieting coincidental events such as post-Covid-19 outbreaks, the 75th anniversary of National Independence Day, the 45th anniversary of National Reunification Day, and the 13th National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam, 2021 marked a new decade, which bore an awakening call to us all. Taking this as an opportunity, with all challenges in mind, shall we join hands in proposing new ideas for the betterment of Vietnam?
Vietnam Today and Tomorrow is a collection of thoughts ranging from history, culture, ideology, institutions, education, medical, economy, and business from several intellectual minds who reside both in Vietnam and globally. One Asian leader once said, “History has proven that countries driven by dynamic, ambitious and enthusiastic intellectual minds always grow faster than those without”, Vietnam Today and Tomorrow authors aspire to share this responsibility.
Don’t forget to join Fulbright in this meaningful discussion with the Vietnam Today and Tomorrow’s editors, Prof. Tran Van Tho and Dr. Nguyen Xuan Xanh, together with 4 authors namely Mr. Tran Huu Phuc Tien, Mr. Truong Trong Nghia, Dr. Huynh The Du, and Dr. Pham Chi Lan, at:
⏰ 9:30 – 11:30 AM on Saturday, January 15, 2022 (Vietnam time, GMT +7)
👉 Register at: https://bit.ly/VietnamTodayAndTomorrow
Fulbright Speakers’ Series is a quest for knowledge and understanding with diverse incisive viewpoints of prominent authors, both in Vietnam and globally, venturing into a myriad of topics ranging from development history and current Vietnam in the context of globalization, to the importance of mental health in being a compassionate community member.
About the speakers:
– Co-editor Tran Van Tho is an Economics Professor at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, in which he was titled the Honorary Professor in April 2020. In 2018, Professor Tho was awarded the Order of Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Rosette by the Emperor of Japan. He was a member of the Economic Advisory Group of Prime Ministers Vo Van Kiet and Nguyen Xuan Phuc. His book Time Shock and Vietnam’s Economy was awarded the 2016 Best Book. In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, he is the author of “Vietnam’s future economy from the look of the pandemic”.
– Co-editor Nguyen Xuan Xanh received his Ph.D. in Mathematics and Habilitation from Germany. He is an essay writer and has authored several books such as Einstein, University – The higher education institution that changes the world, and Germany in the 19th Century. Dr. Xanh is also a translator, editor, and co-editor of many scientific and educational journals namely Max Planck – The Inventor of Quantum Theory, 200-year-old Humboldt University, and Higgs Boson. In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, he is the author of “Francis Bacon, Fukuzawa Yukichi and Vietnam”.
– Author Tran Huu Phuc Tien is currently the Director of Centrepoint Education and Media, Ho Chi Minh City. As a Bachelor of History, he worked as a journalist for Tuoi Tre News, Saigon Times, and New World from 1984 to 2000. He has authored Road to University (1987), Saigon Not Yesterday (2016), Saigon Then & Now (2017), Struggling in crisis (editor, Tre Publishing House, 2008). In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, he is the author of “The beautiful Saigon through time and space”.
– Author Truong Trong Nghia received his Bachelor of Law from the University of Leipzig, Germany in 1980 and continued to obtain a Master of Laws from New York University, the USA in 1995. From 1998 to 2006, he was a member of Prime Minister Phan Van Khai’s Research Committee. Mr. Truong Trong Nghia was a delegate and a member of the Judiciary Committee of the National Assembly of Vietnam, for its 13th term (2011-2016) and 14th term (2016-2021). From 2008 to now, he has dedicated his career to practicing law professionally. In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, he is the author of “The Socialist Rule of Law State: Political Features of Vietnam”.
– Author Huynh The Du is a lecturer in Public Policy at Fulbright School of Public Policy and Management. Dr. Du has always been interested in collective action, specifically the mechanisms for making the best decisions for mutual causes, which are further discussed in his book Making Megacities in Asia: Comparing National Economic Development Trajectories (Springer, 2019). In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, he is the author of “Thoughts on Vietnam’s development path”.
– Author Pham Chi Lan is an independent economic researcher. She was an editor of Vietnam 2035, a book jointly published by the Ministry of Planning and Investment and the World Bank. From 1996 to 2006, Dr. Pham Chi Lan served as an advisor to Prime Ministers Vo Van Kiet and Phan Van Khai. From 1966 to 2003, she worked at the Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) where she held the titles General Secretary (1993-1997) and Vice President (1997-2003). In Vietnam Today and Tomorrow, she is the author of “Vietnamese Enterprises and the Vietnamese Dream of Prosperity”.